Only for REGISTERED USERS. If you are a REGISTERED USER please login at the bottom of this page. If you are not a REGISTERED USER and want to contact this CBA Adviser, please register. CBA Associates only need to login to contact network members.
Profession: Fortune 100 Credentialed Global CIO/COO
Location Main Office: City // | Country // United States
Building strategic roadmaps, Digital commerce innovation, Digital experience innovator, Global Fortune 100 CIO/CTO/COO, IT and operations, Multimillion dollar budget management, Policy and planning, Post-acquisition integration, Revolutionising IT organisations, Strategy analysis, Transformational change
Experience in Industries, Products & Services:
Agricultural machinery, Banking, Big 4 consulting, Financial services holding companies, Fund management, General insurance, Life insurance, Pre-paid credit cards, Professional services, Property and casualty insurance, Securities firm, Wire transfer houses
Fortune 500 Operations and Technology Visionary
Exceptional vision + execution | Digital commerce thought leader | Leading enterprise technology operations | Insurance/financial sectors
— Experienced enterprise-level visionary executive. Accomplished leader with a history of directing transformational change at an enterprise level, delivering substantial revenue growth and operational improvements through clear and focused vision, decisive management style, and expertise in enterprise technologies.
— Digital consumer experience visionary. Accomplished leader delivering organizational differentiated digital commerce/experience, from innovation, through to optimized Omni-channel, behavior based, predictive, personalized, and fully digitized interactive experience.
— Well-connected business strategist offering a broad network of relationships with C-suite executives at industry leading corporations; offers an extensive history of working directly with the CEOs of Fortune 100 companies, while establishing alliances at all levels of the organization.
— Extensive experience establishing and leading teams of high performing professionals engaged in systems support and application development. Continually challenges the team to build towards consistently higher levels of quality and achievement.
— Key contributor to organizational growth offering a demonstrated record of success and achievement building and strengthening the technological infrastructure of companies that include MetLife, HSBC, New York Life Insurance, Manulife Financial, and AIG.
Leadership and Executive Management Qualities
— Leading transformational change
— Defining and executing strategic roadmaps
— Challenging teams to maximize results
— Working directly with top executives
— Revolutionizing IT organizations
— Relentless commitment to success
— Managing multimillion dollar budgets
— Exhibiting decisive business leadership
— Outperforming expectations, delivering results
— Leading post-acquisition integration
— Sourcing and vetting external vendors
As Chief Information Officer for HSBC, revolutionized the technological infrastructure of a Vietnamese conglomerate, transforming the operations of four subsidiaries and navigating the company to secure public listing on multiple international stock exchanges. Served as the first foreigner to serve in a CIO leadership role in a state-owned company.
Unwavering, laser-focused commitment to excellence and shattering performance goals; key transformation leader who successfully managed the integrations of systems and back office operations of three corporation acquisitions in Indonesia on behalf of Manulife Financial.
Extraordinary ability to work directly with the CEOs of Fortune 100 organizations and their subordinates; establishes strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels of enterprise to continually achieve milestones and deliverables.
2015 to present: Strategy CIO, multiple global locations
Head of technology innovation and business transformation
Achieved a demonstrated record of success in interim executive leadership roles for clients of this provider of IT department assessments, IT strategy, interim CIO, and business critical IT project guidance to middle market companies.
Key Client Engagements
– Meta Bank / Meta Payment Systems Division. Fulfilled a critical role as Interim CIO for this $150MM recognized leader in the prepaid card industry that provides innovative payment solutions delivered nationally in collaboration with market-leading partners. Stabilized an underperforming IT function within six months, establishing the foundation for the appointment of a permanent CIO.
o Pioneered the introduction of formal business, IT, and delivery structures and SDLC methodologies that captured substantial improvements in operations management; re-engineered business and IT tools and resources while debuting a comprehensive testing environment, bi-weekly team meetings, and a formal IT budget.
o Retained the services of an outsourced IT vendor to address and resolve security risks and implement controls to secure compliance with anti-terrorism laws.
o Served as the architect of business plans and roadmaps outlining the upgrade of legacy, back end, and front end IT funcationality, with a focus on replacing proprietary systems with off-the-shelf solutions and leveraging outsourcing to boost delivery capacity.
– Pythain. For a global enterprise consulting firm, engaged to assess organizational delivery cabilities as the basis to create a new digital commerce solution offering.
o Developed a framework for delivery of, organizational competitively differentiated, end to end, digital consumer facing, organization specific solutions.
– The Navigators. Recruited with a mandate to take the IT function of this nonprofit organization to the next level, performing an initial assessment of capabilities in order to develop a strategy to maximize performance and effectiveness across 8 business units.
o Within 30 days, built a technology strategy and operations plan that defined the journey towards a highly-relevant, process-driven organization featuring a strong value proposition and guidelines to govern the prioritization of IT initiatives.
o Partnered with an IT outsourcing vendor to improve delivery capabilities; additionally, expanded the abilities of field staff through the deployment of mobile devices; developed security protocols to mitigate the effects of hacks on these mobile devices in foreign countries.
o Launched the organization’s social media presence, leveraging the power and reach of global social networks to extend presence and influence to a larger demographic target while providing an additional customer service and engagement platform.
2014 to 2015: MetLife, Tokyo, Japan
Head of Application Development Transformation
Retained to lead a restructuring of the Application Development Organization at this global provider of insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs, with a focus on addressing and resolving issues affecting the performance of a $20MM outsourcing agreement between MetLife and IBM for legacy systems support.
– Working within an aggressive 7-month timeframe, innovated a technology roadmap, operations plan, and accountability standards that successfully revolutionized contract performance and restored the outsourcing program to performance standards and client expectations.
– Captured a 40% gain in the exchange of data through the creation of an SDLC program and remediation plan, providing clear guidance and direction for IT demand fulfillment for nine functionality channels.
2008 to 2014: HSBC, Vietnam and Hong Kong
Chief Information Officer
Met the challenge of modernizing the IT infrastructure of the Life, General Insurance, Fund Management, and Securities Trading subsidiaries of a Vietnamese conglomerate, leading an expansion in IT staff from an initial headcount of 6 to 300 and establishing data center and WAN connectivity between branches in 64 provinces. Within six years, established the IT infrastructure for five subsidiaries and a holding company from the ground up.
– Maintained executive authority over systems and technology operations of the largest financial services company in Vietnam, serving 20 million customers; directed the efforts of teams of over 200 professionals, with accountability for budgets of over $25MM.
– Envisioned, developed, and debuted a new IT Division featuring clear department functions, organization charts, job descriptions, performance metrics, and training programs for over 100 professionals.
– Championed the adoption of automated, modernized systems that captured key gains in efficiency and productivity across Human Resources, general ledger, policy administration, trading, and account reconciliation.
– Achieved distinction as the first foreigner to serve in a CIO leadership role in a state-owned company; leveraged the capabiltiies of five linguists to translate key business documents into English for signature.
– Recognized with the Model Insurer of the Year award by Celent, a leading research firm, based on the effectiveness of the new Policy Administration system.
2006 to 2008: New York Life Insurance Company, Hong Kong
Global Chief Information Officer and Chief Operations Officer
Recruited by the former CEO of Manulife Financial to lead IT operations in nine countries for one of the largest life insurers in the world, directing 350 IT professionals and 1000 operations and back office personnel throughout China, India, Mexico, Argentina, Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korea.
– Successfully delivered YOY gains in earnings while leading effective efforts to boost efficiency and lower expenses.
– Led the sourcing of a vendor, negotiation of key pricing and contract terms, and procurement of Policy Administration application suites; established interaction models for each country, directing the execution of the pilot program in Thailand.
– Spearheaded the deployment of upgrades to country-specific operations and development centers, including the adoption of international best practices, an international disaster recovery protocol, standards for back office operations, and monthly operations reporting.
2003 to 2006: Manulife Financial, Jakarta, Indonesia
Chief Information Officer and Chief Operations Officer
Leveraged superior business and operations leadership to direct 70 IT staff members and 500 operations and agency support personnel at the Indonesian offices of this insurance company and financial services provider.
– Skyrocketed revenue by 30% through the development of the industry’s first mobile underwriting and point of sale application, implemented using laptop computers operating on wide area networks; increased productivity and efficiency through the deployment of the Agent Computer Selling Technology Platform.
– Contributed to corporate growth by leading the acquisition, consolidation, and integration of three multinational Indonesian financial services corporations.
– Minimized the loss of clients due to M&A efforts and increased overall client retention by 25% YOY through the launch of a corporate customer policy renewal tracking and outreach program.
– Served as the architect of internal controls and procedures to govern agency and home office employees, with a focus on capturing improvements in cash management and process controls.
– Led the design of enterprise system architecture to boost the effectiveness of administration applications used by Finance, Human Resources, and the Pension departments.
Retained IT Executive, AIG, Nan Shan Life, Republic of China
Managing Director, Sapient, Boston, MA and Chicago, IL
Senior Manager and Principal Consultant, Accenture
Senior Manager and Principal Consultant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
Director of Engagement Management, AT&T
Education & Professional Development
Master of Research Degree: Dissertation: Improving IT and Operations for Executives in Emerging Markets; Macquarie Graduate School of Management, Sydney, Australia
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Information Systems, Business Administration, and Accounting; Friends University, Wichita, United States
Publications & Presentations
Transformational Technology Resolutions for The New Year
Financial Services Technology Executive Summit Report
Are The Organizational Roles of the CMO & CIO Merging?
Reaching Your Key Business Objectives with Big Data
Partner Analyst at the GDS International FST Summit, 2015
“Transformation of The Financial Service Customer Experience Through Data Analytics & Digital Enablement”
Harvard Business Review Online, 2014/2015
Published 13 articles on technology innovation and business transformation
Co-Keynote Speaker, What’s Big in Big Data Conference - 2015
“Reaching Your Key Business Objectives with Big Data” (with Harvard Innovation Lab’s Chief Data Scientist Speaker)
“Social Media Boom or Bust” (Seven Part Series) Meet The Boss TV Publication, 2014
“Emerging Market Management Practice” (Seventeen Part series) Meet The Boss TV Publication, 2014
“The New Distribution Paradigm”, National Underwriter Business Publication
Speaker - “The New CRM Paradigm” - Asian Journal International Business Conference
Speaker - “Creating Agent Differentiation Through Technology” - National Association of Variable Annuities Conference
Keynote Speaker - “Aligning Business and IT Strategy” - Marcus Evans Asia Regional Conference
Alan Royal joined CBA as M&A Adviser in the United States in August 2016.
Years in Advisory: 20
Accompanied & accomplished deals: 30
Total Transaction Volume: EUR 0